Dreaming of a honeymoon in an overwater bungalow? Discover the best resorts that allow you to sleep over beautiful translucent waters and wake up next to the tropical fish below.
If you’re looking to get as close to the water as possible on your dream vacation, staying in an overwater bungalow is a clear winner.
Embracing everything we love about a honeymoon resort on the ocean, overwater bungalows combine style, sophistication, and originality to provide the perfect setting for an unforgettable week (or two) with your spouse.
Read on to find out which overwater bungalows you should be booking right now.
Stunning Overwater Bungalows for an Incredible Trip
We’ve found the best options if you want unique island digs docked over white sands and blue waters. Interested yet?
Whether you want to enjoy a thatched roof villa in Bora Bora or a Disney honeymoon, these are the best overwater bungalows to get cozy with your spouse on your big trip.
The St Regis Bora Bora, Bora Bora
Best for Bungalows with Views
The St Regis Bora Bora is the blueprint for a luxurious French Polynesian honeymoon. From the world-class service to the idyllic surroundings, you’ll really have it all at this resort.
But it’s the overwater villas that we’re here for, and these are some of the best you’ll find anywhere in the world.
- There’s plenty of outdoor patio space, including a covered area to escape the sun without walking away from that view.
- The inside of your villa is as impressive as the crystal clear waters below and features his and hers sinks, a spa bath, and fluffy mattresses that you’ll struggle to leave in the morning.
Suggested Honeymoon Duration: 5 nights
Soneva Fushi, Maldives
Best for the Most Lavish Overwater Bungalow
You’ll need to board a charter plane to visit this UNESCO Biosphere Reserve in Maldives. Your treat when you arrive? One of the most spectacular overwater bungalows we’ve seen.
Book the One Bedroom Water Retreat with Slide at Soneva Fushi and forget your troubles while having the time of your life on your perfect honeymoon.
- The outdoor space is astonishing. The infinity pool, outdoor slide, and expansive patio will have you wanting to spend every second under the sun.
- This gigantic overwater bungalow has everything you need for your stay, including a full kitchen, several rooms to lounge in, and 2 levels of outdoor space.
Suggested Honeymoon Duration: 7-10 days
Mango House Seychelles, Seychelles
Best for Bungalows on the Beach
Seychelles is one of our favorite locations for a beach honeymoon. And while there aren’t any actual overwater bungalows on the island, Mango House Seychelles has some breathtaking accommodations on the rocky shores of the Indian Ocean that come pretty close.
- Falling asleep on the canopy beds while hearing the Indian Ocean below will let you lose yourself to Seychelles in the best possible way.
- Beautiful hardwood accents line the floors, ceilings, and walls – giving the room a graceful yet youthful appearance.
- The balconies and terraces overlook the ocean around you – giving you a great place to start and end your days.
Suggested Honeymoon Duration: 7 days
Le Taha’a Island Resort & Spa, Tahiti
Best for a Romantic Vacation
Le Taha’a Island Resort & Spa is a picturesque resort that just happens to have some of the most charming overwater bungalows in Tahiti. The thatched roof villas stretch over the translucent blue sea below – providing the most romantic setting for your Tahiti honeymoon.
- Large private balconies overlook the charming volcanic mountain and ocean surroundings.
- High ceilings, hardwood floors, and an unfussy style make this overwater bungalow the perfect beachside retreat.
Suggested Honeymoon Duration: 10 days
Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa and Beach All-Inclusive Resort, St. Lucia
Best for a Honeymoon Bungalow in St. Lucia
St. Lucia’s overwater bungalows are a treat for any couple on a Caribbean honeymoon.
- The outdoor patio has a swim-up deck where you’ll spend your mornings waking up with a swim in the Caribbean sea.
- You can enjoy butler service right up to your overwater bungalow doorstep.
- An outdoor tub and shower allow you to wash the salt water right off before stepping inside your romantic overwater bungalow.
Suggested Honeymoon Duration: 5-7 nights
Bungalows Key Largo, USA
If you want an overwater bungalow in the Florida Keys, this is as close as you’ll find – and although its a few steps from the ocean, it’s spectacular.
The bungalows are technically on the sand, not over water, but the views from your room and patio make you feel one with the sea at Bungalows Key Largo.
- Waterfront bungalows overlook the stunning beaches and water of the Atlantic Ocean on your Florida honeymoon.
- There’s plenty of space to relax and romance inside and out, including a large private patio.
- An outdoor shower, soaking tub, and private beach access outside your door are perfect for people who love the water.
Suggested Honeymoon Duration: 5 days
InterContinental Bora Bora & Thalasso Spa, Bora Bora
Best for a Luxury Honeymoon
One of the first places we think of when overwater bungles come to mind is Bora Bora. And the InterContinental Bora Bora & Thalasso Spa, an IHG Hotel, is a great example of why. You won’t want to walk away from your luxury villa in the South Pacific.
- Rooms are modern, stylish, and comfortable.
- Step outside your room and off your private patio into the perfect waters below.
- The Thalasso Spa is a must-visit while you’re here and is just a short walk from your overwater bungalow.
Suggested Honeymoon Duration: 5-7 days
Thatch Caye Resort, a Muy’Ono Resort, Belize
Best for a Honeymoon on a Private Island
If you’re looking for overwater bungalows in Belize, stop what you’re doing and check out the Thatch Caye Resort, a Muy’Ono Resort.
Why? Your overwater bungalows are not just gorgeous; they’re on a private island (we promise it’s not too good to be true). Book the Premier Overwater bungalow if you want the perfect stay on your Belize honeymoon.
- The overwater bungalows give you plenty of space between neighboring villas, so you can have privacy on your romantic honeymoon in Central America.
- Wake up to stunning ocean views from your bed or deck.
- The rooms are rustic but modern and relaxed.
Suggested Honeymoon Duration: 5-7 days
Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bungalows, USA
Best for Theme Park Lovers
If you’re keen to book overwater bungalows in Florida, you’ll want to check out Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bungalows.
Technically the only villas of their kind in Florida, the thatched roof overwater bungalows will make you feel like you’re in the South Pacific on your Disney honeymoon.
- Paying tribute to French Polynesian architecture, style, and design – it’s the closest you’ll get to a Tahiti overwater bungalow in the USA.
- Washers and dryers, full kitchens, and spacious living quarters make you feel right at home.
- You can soak up the warm Florida nights in your private plunge pool.
Suggested Honeymoon Duration: 4-7 days
Sandals Royal Caribbean All Inclusive Resort & Private Island, Jamaica
Best for an Adults-Only Honeymoon
Searching for the top overwater bungalows Jamaica has? Look no further.
If you want to book the overwater bungalow at Sandals Royal Caribbean All-Inclusive Resort & Private Island, you’ll need to do it well in advance.
One of the most popular overwater bungalows on our list, these incredible villas fill up quickly.
- The infinity pool is right outside your villa and the ideal place to watch the sunset on your Caribbean honeymoon.
- Hardwood floors have glass-covered cut-outs displaying the ocean below.
- You’re staying on a private island in Jamaica in an overwater bungalow. Enough said?
Suggested Honeymoon Duration: 5-10 days
Rosewood Mayakoba, Mexico
Best for an Overwater Bungalow on a Lagoon
When we think of Mexico overwater bungalows, the Riviera Maya immediately comes to mind. It’s no wonder then that the Rosewood Mayakoba is an incredible option on the Yucatan Peninsula to take in the beauty of the Caribbean sea from your overwater bungalow on your Mexico honeymoon.
- The overwater bungalows have a unique mangrove and lagoon setting that is distinctly Riviera Maya.
- Private heated infinity pools are great for an evening swim.
- Tastefully curated local art, pottery, and furniture adorn the rooms.
Suggested Honeymoon Duration: 4-6 days
The Float House River Kwai, Thailand
Best for Riverside Overwater Bungalows
If you’re heading out for a honeymoon in Thailand, The Float House River Kwai will give you one of the most unique resort experiences in Asia. Immerse yourself in Thailand’s rivers, jungles, and parks at this unforgettable overwater bungalow.
- The floating villas are a great way to experience the heart of Thailand on the River Kwai.
- Your reservation includes all your meals, making it one of the best overwater bungalow bargains for your honeymoon.
- A day bed and patio furniture give you plenty of options for enjoying the stunning views of the river outside.
Suggested Honeymoon Duration: 4-7 days
Constance Prince Maurice, Mauritius
Best for Luxury at a Reasonable Price
Looking to find the best overwater bungalows in Mauritius? The Constance Prince Maurice is more than likely your best bet.
We love the property, and the floating restaurant is a can’t-miss, but it’s all about your private overwater bungalow here. Trust us.
- The spacious overwater villas are nearly 1400 sq. ft.
- Warm hardwood interior and lofted ceilings give an elegant refinement to your sleeping quarters.
- The junior suites are one of the best overwater bungalows for the price.
Suggested Duration: 7-10 days
Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi, Maldives
Best for Lounging in Oceanside Hammocks
Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi is one of our favorite luxury getaways in the Maldives. Why? We could go on and on but simply put – the overwater bungalows here are magical.
- Every Maldives overwater bungalow here has its own infinity pool.
- The walk-out patios provide the best views of the Indian Ocean steps from your bedroom or bath.
- Day beds, loungers, and hammocks give you numerous options for soaking up the sun.
- Large walk-in showers and separate baths allow you to wash away the day’s fun in style.
Suggested Honeymoon Duration: 7 days
Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora, Bora Bora
Best for Bungalows in French Polynesia
Bora Bora is the perfect honeymoon location if you can’t get enough of the ocean, and the Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora has dozens of overwater bungalows that bring out the white sands and gentle waves surrounding the resort.
- Bora Bora bungalows are stylish, comfortable, and have unrivaled views of the South Pacific.
- Your in-room jacuzzi sets the stage for a romantic weekend.
- You can book exclusive access to incredible experiences like sailing and feeding the sharks right outside your door.
- The premium suites include private infinity pools on your deck.
Suggested Honeymoon Duration: 4 days
Practical Tips for Booking Your Overwater Bungalow Escape
So you’ve narrowed in on where you want to stay and just need to book your overwater bungalow retreat. Let’s break down what you need to know before you book your overwater bungalow.
- Try to reserve your overwater bungalow during the off-peak season. If you book between December and March, rates may be lower than at other times of the year.
- Decide where you want to go for your overwater bungalow vacation. Numerous locations have incredible resorts on the water – so pick an area that’s interesting to you to get the most out of your honeymoon.
- Tropical destinations tend to have bugs… And a lot of them. So you’ll want to bring bug spray and keep the windows closed at night to avoid mosquito bites.
- Book your room based on your swimming ability. If you’re not a strong swimmer, you’ll want to be closer to shore if you plan on spending long afternoons snorkeling or lounging below.
- Check with the resort for private diving, sailing, or snorkeling excursions. You’re staying right on the water, so you’ll want to take advantage of it.
- Combine your overwater bungalow escape with surrounding destinations. Whether it’s a day trip into town, going on a hike, or combining your private oceanside trip with another destination, you’ll want to devote some time to getting on land to see more of the tropical honeymoon paradise around you.